Saturday, June 02, 2007

"Dacha" road, take me home...

OK, so I'm trying to be clever with a song title again... but the main themes here are "dacha", a word meaning 'summer home' which is another one of those words that is not translated when people speak English, and countryside.

A couple teachers recently took Joe and me on an outing to an outdoor museum on the outskirts of Kyiv. It was very open and peaceful with representative cottages from the different regions of Ukraine. We saw some singers perform folks songs . . . incredible costumes and faces reflecting hard lives and many changes over the years. Also, after one of our friends told the potter that I was a guest from America, I suddenly became the apprentice for a sort of demonstration. I was asked to don a traditional straw hat and change into a Ukrainian blouse . . . very authentic! So after I made my candlestick holder, Mr. Potter (yes Harry has made his way to this part of the world and so has Jennifer Lopez which makes for inter-cultural joke opportunities), showed me a photo of himself hobnobbing with the current president, Viktor Yushenko (a.k.a. Viktor-West). I didn't know I ran in such hip circles...

The next day, Lilia, a Ukrainian friend who works at the US Embassy and helps me a ton professionally, invited us to her "dacha." We got to meet her sister and brother-in-law and charming Vitya, short for Viktor. He was such a cutie! He loves leaving Kyiv for the weekend and playing at the "dacha", rolling around on the grass, watching dad make shashleek (ka-bobs), running through the garden sprinkler, and pretending to drive the car (he even shifts). He is only four years old... but oh-so-clever. We even read a book together with him helping me with my Russian and me asking questions in English. It was so beautiful in the countryside which was less than an hour outside of Kyiv.

Tomorrow I'm headed to the far east... the same place I went in February, Luhansk. The event is a week-long training on American Studies. I'll be joined by Fulbrighters and embassy folk. . . . I'll present on organizing U.S.-style moderated discussions and integrating U.S.-style communication strategies into English language classrooms.

No comments: