Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Circus on Water

"цирк на водI" (pronunciation= tsirk na vodi) means "Circus on Water" - and that's just what we saw last week. Everyone knows that the circus is a big deal around these parts, not to mention the 'Moscow Circus'. This year it was an extravaganza on water, actually a type of shallow circular pool. The retro nature of the main building, the live musicians in the bandstand, cotton candy, and coat check rooms took me way back (to even before I was born, maybe). I really didn't know what to expect... but I was hoping they weren't going to torture animals. To Joe and my surprise, the acts were very choreography-based with dancers and contortionists in the most outrageously creative costumes I'd ever seen. Cirque de Soleil - eat your heart out! There were a few animal acts with small dogs and seals, and one with some giant snakes and an alligator. But overall, it was not your standard-issue circus. Quite the unusual experience.

The "Circus in the Street" continues with no news on the political meltdown yet. Foreign mediators are supposed to step in. Although I see pictures of all the demonstrators, and we actually saw a few "cheaters" demonstrating during the Easter weekend (they were officially supposed to take the day off)... the whole ordeal isn't affecting us much. I had two groups of teachers "graduate" from different training courses, one even on Good Friday, and not one teacher was missing or late. Crazy! Even a revolution can't keep them away. I guess it makes me feel good... However, my regular walking path has recently been packed with about a hundred huge buses that have bussed villagers to the center to demonstrate on behalf of this side or that. It is 'rumored' that they were paid 20 USD each to jump on the bus, come to Kyiv, and wave a flag around. Lucrative, considering what they usually make. Honest... well that's another question.

On Thursday, bright and early, we are headed for the Western part of Ukraine again. This time we are off to Kamyanets-Podilsky and Khmelnytsky (they are very near each other). I'll give two workshops in each town. I am looking forward to it (day train, of course)... now if I could just shake this stubborn sore throat I've been having... time to pop another anti-biotic, Claritin, and Strep-cil.

5 comments:

chatala said...

yo! this is your brother! not sure how to just leave you a message randomly so im replying to your post. :) miss you guys and just wanted to say 'hi'. hope to shee you shoon! keep eating that seaweed stuff!

ps. check this out!
http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4003

love yah!
-c

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer – this is Ron from the USA – from the land of enchantment, it looks much more enchanting in the Ukraine than here, that’s for sure. Gong to UNM? What are you taking? Art? I gotta go outside now and teach my dog a new trick, gotta prepare for the circus - ron

Anonymous said...

Should I tell you about my latest OPI experience?

A friend and I (in ABQ) went to get pedicures and the "wow" green OPI looks so fabulous on my toesies!

Maybe I can send you some: which color? Browns? reds? Orange? green? othera/

Candace

Jennifer said...

Although I envy your "green envy" (that is the name of the color, isn't it?) - but I'll be back in a couple months... and will indulge at that time! Will you start identifying good colors for me?

Anonymous said...

The Lady with Ermine is yours!!!
She is beautiful and I look at her EVERY day for real. So much to see and absorb. The trip is out of a travelog....wonderful.
Love, MJH